We must all find the fun in life! aka JOY.

A blog about the life and adventures, thoughts and musings, and moments of loving and learning of Kellie Steinbeigle.

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pecan Pie Crusts!

December 24, 2011.
I made my first pie crust! You'd think I'd have learned by the time I was 25, but no.  Mom was so sweet and took the time to teach me how to do it the right way!  Hopefully I can remember next time I got to make a pie! The recipe was so simple, too!  Flour, sugar, salt. Smash in chunks of cold butter until blended... but not too much. You still want it chunky. Next, add iced water, only two spoonfuls at a time and mix with a fork until it is just sticky enough.  Barely sticky.. About six-ish spoonfuls will do.  Spread flour on surface where you will roll out the dough so it won't stick, and using a rolling pin, roll until, I dunno.  The size part I'm not sure about, but you want it to hang over the edge of the pie tin by at least an inch 1/2 or so. Next, gently place dough in pie tin and gently mold it to fit. Take a beaten egg and baste it around the whole surface of the dough to give it a shiny appearance. Cut off the extra dough around the edges and shape them however you'd like. Oh, and be sure to shape the crusts so that they stand up from the tin a bit since it will shrink as it bakes. Fill with your favorite pie filling and then put it in the oven (for how long and how hot, I'm not sure. I guess it depends on the pie you are making.) a Voi la! Homemade pie crust! Hmmm, I'll need to get the exact measures of flour, sugar, and salt though from my Mom. I think it was 1 1/2 cup flour, 2 Tbs sugar, and a pinch of salt mixed with a 1/2 c of cube butter. Yep!  There you have it! In this particular case, we decided to divide up the dough into two halves and make two mini pecan pies since not everyone in our family likes to eat them. Here's how they turned out! (too bad I didn't get a picture of the final baked product!)



No comments: