We must all find the fun in life! aka JOY.

A blog about the life and adventures, thoughts and musings, and moments of loving and learning of Kellie Steinbeigle.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mary Poppins!

I guess it's time to give a little update on my recent art stuff. Mostly I've just been doing things for the character design course I'm taking this semester. We've done a lot of very fun and helpful assignments so far including hand studies, head designs, silhouettes, stretch vs. squash, villians, hair, etc! It's probably been one of the most influential classes I've taken here at BYU and I fully accredit that to my amazing teacher Boston Madsen. She has only been graduated for a few years, but has been working for Avalanche part time as well as doing many other pieces of beautiful artwork of her own! I've fully been enjoying her class this semester and have been taking so much from it!  Do you remember the first assignment I posted back at the beginning of September?  Well, contrast that to my latest assignment: taking any live action movie character and designing her in our own character style. It was so amazing and fun to do this!  I chose to do Mary Poppins, and I am actually quite pleased with how the drawing turned out! Check it out!
 Isn't she cute?!  I decided to give her a more conventional way of flying. This way she can sit down and take a nap if she'd like, and also, now no one can see up her skirt as she floats down. In my imagination, the giant umbrella would shrink down to normal size the minute she set foot on land. If she can pull lamp shades out of a carpet bag and make toys go into their toyboxes by using magic (and not to mention fly) then why can't she have a magic umbrella that shrinks and expands when she needs it to? Now I've just got to figure out a way to color her and make her look realistic-like (in an illustrative-type way) I feel so proud and that my skills have certainly improved a lot over the last few weeks! I hope they continue to improve (especially since I'll be graduating soon and leaving all my professors and their helpful critiques behind.) :,(
Thank you, Boston, for all you've done to help me improve over the semester! The time you take to work with us individually has been so helpful and exactly what I've been needing. The time and effort you have put into making this class so great has been much appreciated!

No comments: